QB Issue Resolution:
You can install and run multiple versions and editions of QuickBooks on the same computer. Different versions can be open at the same time whereas different editions must be opened one at a time.
A version is the numeric notation of the product’s release. Examples are QuickBooks 2013 and Enterprise 13.0.
An edition refers to the set of features included in a product. Examples are Pro, Premier, and Accountant Edition.
Before you install multiple versions, note the following:
- Multiple versions (such as QuickBooks 2014 and 2013) can be used at the same time. When you work in Premier 2014 and need to open Premier 2013, you don’t need to close Premier 2014 before you open Premier 2013.
- Only one QuickBooks edition (such as QuickBooks Premier and Enterprise) can be used at one time. When you work in Premier 2014 and need to open Enterprise 14.0, you must close Premier before you open Enterprise.
- Data files cannot be shared between Enterprise Solutions and other QuickBooks versions, or between different years.
- If you primarily use Premier and want to try out Enterprise Solutions, opening the Premier data file in Enterprise Solutions will irreversibly update the data file so that it can no longer be used in Premier. (To try a different edition, open a sample file in the edition you’re interested in, instead of opening your company file.)
- If you open a Premier 2013 data file in Premier 2014, QuickBooks updates the data file so that it can no longer be used in Premier 2013.
- Steps to install the manual update are different. When you update QuickBooks using a manual update, you are prompted to choose which edition to update when more than one edition is installed.
Note: This information applies to installing different editions of the same version. Use these steps to install more than one version for the same or different editions. Different editions of the same version all use one installation location. As a result, QuickBooks automatically assigns the installation folder when you install a second edition on one computer. To install a second edition, complete the installation as you normally would and allow QuickBooks to set the installation location for you.
Install more than one version of QuickBooks on one computer by using different installation folders
- Launch the downloaded version of QuickBooks.
- Change the installation location:
- Select Custom and Network Options and click Next.
- Choose the installation option you prefer and click Next.
- When the Upgrade or Change Installation Location window appears, select the first option to Change the install location.
- (Optional) Click the Browse or Change button if you want to manually select a different installation folder.
- Click Next to continue.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Use the desktop shortcut QuickBooks created for the version you installed to open that version.
To open a specific edition, use the shortcut QuickBooks added to your desktop for that edition.